Not really. Actually I have been doing everything I can do to get Liam to nurse. Kayden was tongue tied so he was never really able to nurse. I think that is the reason he had so many ear infections. I pumped for him but not enough and I dried up by month 3.
This time we had so many plans in place to help Liam be able to nurse. When he was born he nursed like a champ for 45 minutes and I was so excited. The rest of the time in the hospital he only nursed one other time. When we got home he would scream every time we would try.
On Monday we saw a lactation consultant who determined that Liam has a weak suck and an issue with his jaw alignment. Luckily my milk has come in like crazy and pumping has helped ensure Liam gets plenty of food to get rid of his jaundice. In talking with our pediatrician she decided to send Liam to an Occupational Therapist.
This morning was our first appointment with Ms.Kari. She diagnosed Liam with a high pallet and a type of tongue tie that shortens the tongue instead of the kind Kayden had where his fenulum was too far forward. Surgery can correct this issue but is very invasive so we are trying therapy first. I'm not even sure I would go through with the surgery, it just sounds so scary.
It will still be a while before Liam can try and nurse again but everyone seems to be optimistic that he will go back to the breast at some point.
For now I am chained to my breast pump and can only stay away from the house for a few hours at a time. But it is all worth it. Liam is getting the help he needs and we have a plan to move forward.
And right now I am listening to laugh in his sleep from his crib.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I hope the therapy helps. He is so cute!!!
Oh Brie, I feel for you! I didn't know that you weren't able to nurse Kayden and I'm sorry about Liam. There are a lot of things about having a new baby that have really thrown me for a loop but breast feeding is at the top of that list. Luke and I weren't able to make it work after a LOT of trying and a LOT of visits to lactation consultants and doctors. I am actually surprised at how many people have such a hard time with it. I guess it's something that people don't really talk about.
I, too, am exclusively pumping and that is an adventure. I've learned a lot about it and have finally settled into a routine that works for us. Hopefully you will be able to find your own routine and get it to work for you and your little guy.
If you haven't already, I highly recommend renting a hospital grade pump as that really makes all the difference in the world. Also, a corset that holds the bottles for you while you pump really makes it not such a chore.
Tell Kayden hi from me! We miss you guys!
Post a Comment