November 09, 2010

Aunt Maggies Jam Thumbprint cookies.

Well, not MY aunt Maggie's. Maybe it is Martha Stewart's Aunt Maggie since I got the recipe from her! Kayden loves to help me make cookies and this is his favorite since he can roll the cookie balls in powered sugar. Since I make a TON of jam for the holidays I tend to make thumbprints around now too. 
Here is the recipe:
  • 24 tablespoons (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
  • 3/4 cup jam (any type)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg, and beat until completely combined. With mixer on low, add flour, and mix just until incorporated.
  2. Shape dough into 1-inch balls (about 2 tablespoons each). Place on baking sheets, at least 3 inches apart.
  3. Moisten thumb with water, and gently press the center of each ball, making an indentation about 1/2 inch wide and inch deep. In microwave or on stove, heat jam until liquefied; spoon about 1/2 teaspoon into each indentation. Bake until cookies are golden brown around edges, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely. If storing, place in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 2 days.  
  4. Aunt Maggie's Jam Thumbprint Cookies - Martha Stewart Recipes

Once you roll the cookies, roll them in powered sugar for extra yummyness.

Then make a well in each cookie with the handle of a wooden spoon or dowel.
I put my jam in a plastic baggie and microwave it for a few seconds to make it more liquidy and then cut a corner of the baggie to pipe the jam into the cookies.
And they are DONE! Now if I can just find space for all of the jam I have been making I will be set!

2 comments:

Jodi Anderson said...

You can always store jam...or any other baked goods at my house!! lol

rumplejane said...

YUM!!!