December 04, 2013

Vacation to NYC with the StClairs

Since we had such a great time vacationing with them last year, we decided to go for broke and go to the Big Apple with the StClairs this October. Adam has only been for work, Gigi had never been and it had been a while since both Scott and I had been(just over 10 years for me!). In DC we were in separate hotels but this time we stayed not only in the same hotel, but in the same suite! It turned out great! We had this awesome view of Central park from our suite at the Essex house, right on the southern border of the park.
As soon as we checked in we dropped our bags and rented some bikes to tour the park on. We went from 80 degree weather to the mid 40's so we threw on our scarves and coats first!
This is a view of the hotel from where we were in the park



After the tour of central park(and a bit of a rest) we met up with Scott's buddy from school, Famous Fat Dave! He took us on a culinary tour of Brooklyn in his old checker cab. All of us agree that this was by far our favorite part of the entire trip! He first grabbed us some salami to snack on as we went over the bridge. Next up was perogies and blintzs.
Then we shared cannolies and a rice ball

Then off to get some monster rolls. BEST LOBSTER ROLLS EVER!
The next morning we headed out to our NBC studio tour.
Had to stop for a photo op

After the tour, where Adam and I were selected to do the news, Gigi and I hit up the newly opened skating rink at 30 Rockefeller Plaza. I learned two new things, 1. Gigi is a much better ice skater than I and 2. That doesn't mean she wont still bust her butt and almost put her head through a plate glass window getting OFF the rink.



That night happened to be my birthday so we went to Benjamin's Steak house to celebrate. Somehow the cold dry air had caused some irritation to my vocal chords because I had completely lost my voice by dinner. Adam had to order for me and I felt like a diva demanding hot water, lemon and honey all night but it was a great meal!

The next morning we went to FAO Schwartz for some mementos to bring home to the kids
And then grabbed an express pass on the Empire State building, skipped all the lines and headed right to the top of the building for some amazing views.

Dinner that night was at the Marriot Marquee rotating dinning room on the top of Times Square. It was our last dinner of the trip but we had fun people watching from 90 floors up. FYI if you ever stay at the W hotel in Times Square, CLOSE YOUR CURTAINS!


Sunday morning we spent our last few hours in Manhattan at the 9/11 memorial
Dave told us on our food tour that they don't call it Freedom tower anymore, that they had changed the name back to World Trade One. I was here 10 years ago when the whole area was a pit with make-shift memorials attached to the fencing surrounding the grounds. It certainly has changed, although the flight path has planes flying directly over the tower. At first that was disconcerting but then I thought of what a great statement that makes, no matter what we won't let those hoping to bring us down change our daily lives.
Sadly this was one of the last things we did while in New York, it was time to head home.

1 comment:

tammy stailey said...

I'm so jealous! It looks amazing! And you are so beautiful! Adam's really lucky!